Without our volunteers, we simply couldn’t run the Museum. Volunteering will give you the opportunity to get involved in your local community. Or you can make friends, or sharpen your work skills. Please note that some roles may require a particular level of physical ability.
Interested in the any of the roles below?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will contact you.
Visitor Welcome Assistant
- Be the welcoming face of the Museum, sell tickets and goods from our well stocked shop, and answer routine enquiries. You will encourage visitors to sign up to Gift Aid and take responsibility for cash handling and end of day till procedures.
- This position is flexible on weekdays and/or weekends.
- You will work with our Learning Coordinator to help build exciting and fun programmes for school sessions and organizing family events.
- Provide guided tours to organized group visits and other audiences with explanatory talks about our engine demonstrations. You will receive full training on the history of the museum and engines.
- This position has flexible times on weekends and school holidays.
Stationary Steam Engine Driver
- Drive one of our engines! From the Boulton and Watt, which first ran in 1820, to the 90″ – one of the largest Cornish cycle beam engines in the world, our nine steam driven pumping engines will provide you with a real sense of achievement when you have mastered them.
- Learn how to fire up the boilers, prepare the engines as well as demonstrate the steam pumping engines to the museum visitors according to the running schedule.
- This volunteer position is on selected weekends.
Steam Railway Drivers
- You will be hands on with preparation, boiler maintenance, running visitor trips as well as dropping the fire and disposal at the end of the running day.
- You will learn to drive our 1957 3-litre Lister Diesel locomotive ‘Alister’!
- Volunteers need not have previous experience of steam or railways. Full training will be provided in all areas of engine operation, including instructions on health and safety and museum operation procedures.
- This volunteer position is on Saturdays / Sundays and school holidays.
Ground & Maintenance Volunteer
- There are many opportunities to work on the maintenance and repair of our Grade 1 & 2 listed historic buildings that include painting, decoration, maintenance, repairs, and some new construction.
- There are options for working groups on Thursdays, Thursday evenings 5-9 p.m. & Saturdays.
- Help us to keep our gardens in good repair, whether planting, weeding, tidying up, helping to clear new areas of the site, or creating and looking after the many smaller planters and flower beds around the Museum.
Conservation and Archive Volunteer
- You will have the opportunity to work with our Conservation and Archive team on the recording of new material, conservation, research of documents, pictures, films and sound recordings of historic small artefacts and exhibits relating to water supply in London
- You will help make the archive and library available to researchers and the public.